FPS staff report
May 30, 2012
Conotton Valley Union Local School District is looking for another superintendent.
Ryan Caldwell, who was hired May 17, 2010, has resigned. Caldwell submitted his resignation, effective July 31, as superintendent/Junior Senior High School principal at the Board’s May 21 meeting.
Caldwell reportedly has accepted a superintendent’s position with the Rolling Hills School District in Guernsey County.
The Board has set a special meeting for May 30 at 7 a.m. to meet with Kevin Spears, superintendent of the East Central Ohio Educational Service Center at New Philadelphia to begin a search for a new superintendent.
In other business, the Board appointed Chris Bower of Bowerston to the Board to fill the unexpired term of the late Rick West ending Dec. 31, 2013.
Lee Bowdish, who had been the Board’s vice president, automatically moved into the president’s position and Board Member Phil Gooding was elected vice president.
Following a brief discussion, the Board voted 5-0 not to participate in the Ohio School Facilities Commission’s Classroom Facilities Assistance program to build a new elementary/middle/high school to house grades PK-12.
Under the Commission’s plan, the local share for the $21,151,779 project would be $11,210,443 with the state share being $9,941,336.
The School district had been approved for participation the Classroom Facility Assistance program this year and a master facilities plan had been developed.
According to School District Treasurer Deborah Henry, the Board felt this is just not the time to ask for a bond issue and operating levy.
In other action, the Board:
- APPROVED a 16-week sabbatical leave for Lindsey Tidrick, physical education instructor at Conotton Valley High School, commencing Jan. 7, 2013, through April 26, 2013, when Mrs. Tidrick will be starting an internship for a master’s degree in school guidance counseling.
- APPROVED tuition reimbursement for Dawn Johnson in the amount of $600.
- EMPLOYED Chandra Myers as a new 7-12 langue arts teacher.
- APPROVED four May field trips.
- TABLED a list of 15 supplemental contracts for the 2012-13 school year.
- APPROVED a 1-year contract for Mike Fierbaugh, transportation supervisor.
- APPROVED expenditures totaling $510,041.96.
- ACCEPTED a $50 donation from David and Brenda Fink in memory of Conotton Valley Board of Education member Rick West who died last April.
- ACKNOWLEDGED receipt of a $500 grant from American Electric Power to be used for the Teacher Vision Grant program.
- AUTHORIZED 2012-13 membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
- SET the next regular meeting for June 18 at 7 p.m. in the superintendent’s office at Conotton Valley High School.