Name: Amy Campbell
Town of Residence: Minerva, Ohio
Family: Josh, Laney and Hoagie (French Bulldog)
Where do you work and what are your responsibilities?
I am the health educator for the Carroll County General Health District where I am responsible for several grants within the health department: Child Injury Prevention, Safe Communities Carroll County, Public Health Emergency Preparedness, and Carroll County Help Me Grow. My additional job duties include: Accreditation Coordinator, Safe Kids Carroll County Coordinator, Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, Ohio Buckles Buckeyes Coordinator and Carroll County Help Me Grow Central Coordination (Referral Intake).
Is your work with Carroll County Safe Kids and Safe Communities related to your position? How?
Yes. As a health educator it is my job to educate and assist individuals, families and communities to maintain or adopt safe and healthy lifestyles. This is exactly what both Safe Kids and Safe Communities entail. I strive to ensure that children, teens, and adults are learning and practicing safe behaviors recreationally and within a moving vehicle.
What are Safe Kids and Safe Communities? How can people become involved?
Safe Kids and Safe Communities are two separate programs, but at times there are opportunities to work with one another.
The goal of Safe Kids Carroll County is to prevent unintentional injuries among children. This is an unfunded program I am continuously seeking funding opportunities to support child safety programming and safety items. Safe Kids is very active throughout the year with meetings, providing education, planning events, developing programs, and participating in community events. Here are just a few of the activities and topics that Safe Kids provides and focuses on in Carroll County:
* Child Passenger Safety: Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians conduct two FREE car seat checks each year in Carrollton. This is an opportunity for families to make sure that car seats are installed properly and that their child is in the appropriate child restraint for their age, weight, and height. FREE car seats are provided at these events if determined needed by the Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. The Health District also provides child passenger safety educational classes by appointment all year long. If eligible, car seats are provided for a small donation at the completion of this class through the Ohio Buckles Buckeyes program. We distribute approximately 60 car seats each year to eligible families. For more information about the car seat program please contact the Carroll County General Health District.
* Safe Sleep: Safe Kids and the Carroll County General Health District is a new partner to the Cribs for Kids program. This program provides safe sleep educational classes and FREE pack-n-plays to eligible families. The goal of this program is to ensure that infants are sleeping in a safe environment with safe equipment. For more information on the Safe Sleep program please contact the Health District.
* Annual Back to School Safety and Wellness Extravaganza: Safe Kids coordinates this annual safety and wellness event each year in August. Safe Kids works hard every year to bring a variety of agencies and organizations together to provide one large event that offers interactive safety and wellness stations to children and their families. Through grants and donations Safe Kids is able to provide safety items and FREE school supplies to children in attendance each year. The 2016 event will be held Aug. 13 at the Carroll County Fairgrounds from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
* Pedestrian Safety: Safe Kids coordinates International Walk to School day each year with the schools. Safe Kids obtains many volunteers in the community to assist and provide safe walking education to the students as they walk to school. Safe Kids is able to provide pedestrian safety education and reflective items every year to each elementary child in Carroll County.
* Bicycle Safety: Safe Kids has been working on increasing bicycle helmet use within Carroll County through not only education but also policy development. Safe Kids is able to get a limited supply of bicycle helmets each year. The bicycle helmets are provided for FREE at events and at the Health District. Please contact the Health District for bicycle helmet availability.
* Sports Safety: Concussion education and policy development. This is a focus for 2016 that Safe Kids will be working on.
Safe Communities Carroll County is a newer program within the county, whose goal is to help prevent traffic related fatalities and injuries by increasing awareness through education and media. We primarily focus on seat belt use, impaired driving, distracted driving, motorcycle safety, and speed among adults and teens. Safe Communities Carroll County participates and coordinates events, and also distributes educational materials such as: banners, posters, magnets, coasters, napkins, yard signs, and fact sheets to residents and businesses. Safe Communities conducts a Click It or Ticket Kick-Off Event and Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over Kick-Off event each year. In 2015 Safe Communities Carroll County was able to receive additional funding from the Ashton Preservation Association to implement the 1st Carroll County Teen Rodeo which is a teen driving event. As a group, we are continuously trying to come up with new and creative ways to educate and communicate traffic safety messaging out in the community.
See AMY CAMPBELL, B-4
Safe Kids and Safe Communities meet quarterly, on the same day, and one right after the other. Membership application forms along with a list of upcoming meetings and events can be found on the Health District website, www.carroll-lhd.org or contact me at 330-627-4866 ext. 57 for more information. Please Like and Follow both Safe Kids Carroll County and Safe Communities Carroll County on Facebook and Twitter, and we hope to see you at our upcoming events this year!
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Spending time with my family and friends, golfing, traveling
Do you belong to any other organizations?
Coalition for a Drug Free Carroll County, Ohio Injury Prevention Partnership, Child Injury Action Group, Co-Chair of Safe Kids Ohio
As a youngster, what did you inspire to become one day?
What is your favorite movie?
Any movie that was made from a Nicholas Sparks book. But honestly I have too many to narrow it down to just one.
What is your favorite food? Steak and Crab Legs
Finish this sentence: People would be surprised to know…that I was an assistant coach for the Minerva High School Cheerleaders from 2009-2015, and a part of the 2014 State Champion Team.