Willard,-HaroldHarold M. Willard, 100, of Uhrichsville, passed away on Thursday, Jan. 22, at Community Hospice House in New Philadelphia following a period of declining health. Born Jan. 6, 1915 in Dennison, he was a son of the late Marion R. “Ray” and Lucy Jane (Parks) Willard.

On Sept. 5, 1936, Harold married the former Edna Eileen Stevenson, and they enjoyed 49 years of marriage until her passing on Oct. 21, 1985. He is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Mark R. and Melinda S. (Vanfossen) Willard of Tappan Lake; grandsons, Dr. Steven M. and wife Melinda (Culpepper) Willard of Canton and David M. Willard of Tappan Lake; a great-grandson, Hudson S. Willard of Canton; a sister, Evelyn Fisher of Dennison; and several nieces and nephews, as well as many dear friends. In addition to his parents and wife, he was preceded in death by a son, Bruce Steven Willard; granddaughter, Stephanie Rae Willard; brother, Rodney E. Willard; and sister, Edna P. Willard.

Harold was a lifelong resident of the Twin City area, a graduate of Dennison High School in 1933, and a longtime member of Uhrichsville First Christian Church where he was an Elder Emeritus of the church. He proudly served his country as a Sergeant in the U.S. Army during World War II from 1943 to 1946. Harold worked in the local clay industry for 45 years, and his company affiliations included The Clay City Pipe Company, Evans Brick & Pipe, Evans Clay Products, and Whitacre Greer Fireproofing Company from which he retired in 1980. He served as Vice-President of Administration for Evans Clay Products for many years. Harold served on the Board of Directors and as Corporate Secretary for The Clay City Pipe Company and The Bowerston Shale Company until age 92 when he was elected Director Emeritus.

He was very active and energetic, and was always a gentleman. He loved working and spending time at the family farm. He also enjoyed time spent at Tappan Lake where he and his wife, Edna, owned a cottage for 40 years. Harold loved the outdoors whether it be hunting, fishing, hiking, or just observing nature. He loved to take family vacations, particularly to Western Montana and the Yellowstone Park area. At age 95, he took a raft trip on the Yellowstone River with family and friends, and enjoyed his final trip to the area this past summer at the age of 99. His greatest joy in life was his family. Affectionately known as “Pop” to family and friends, he had a genuine interest in the many young people that adopted him as a surrogate grandfather, enjoying their stories and encouraging them in his kind and gentle manner.

His dear friend and neighbor, Rev. Mark Unrue, will officiate Harold’s funeral service at 11 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 26, in the R.K. Lindsey Funeral Home in Dennison. Interment will follow beside his beloved wife and son in Uhrichsville’s Union Cemetery. Family and friends are invited to call at the funeral home from 2 to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

The family would like to kindly acknowledge the special care and kindness Harold received in his later years by the staff at New Dawn Retirement Community, Trinity Hospital Twin City, Union Hospital, and Community Hospice, as well as Shirley Vanfossen, Blanche “Babe” Morris, Glenda Morris, and Rev. Mark Unrue. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Harold’s memory to the Trinity Hospital Twin City Foundation, Uhrichsville Clay Museum, First Christian Church of Uhrichsville, Uhrichsville Presbyterian Church, and Community Hospice.