Motorcyclists are out in full force with the warmer weather, which is why Safe Communities Carroll County is reminding both motorists and motorcyclists to “share the road.”
According to the Ohio Department of Public Safety, Carroll County had approximately 87 crashes from 2011 to present involving motorcycles. Three of these motorcycle crashes were fatal. Safe Communities Carroll County is providing the following safety tips to help prevent motorcycle crashes.
- Allow motorcycles the full width of a lane at all times.
- If you see a motorcycle with a signal on, be careful: motorcycle signals are often non-canceling and could have been forgotten. Always ensure that the motorcycle is turning before proceeding.
- Check all mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles and always signal before changing lanes or merging with traffic, especially at intersections.
- Always allow more follow distance – three to four seconds – when behind a motorcycle. This gives them more time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
- Never drive or ride distracted or impaired.
- While riding wear a helmet and other protective gear.
- Use hand and turn signals at every lane change or turn while riding.
- While riding wear brightly colored clothes and reflective tape to increase visibility.
- Ride in the middle of the lane where you will be more visible to drivers.
As of May 2, 2016, Carroll County has had two traffic related fatalities for the year. In 2015, at this same time of the year, Carroll County had one traffic related fatality.
“By following basic safety rules, such as road signs, obeying speed limits, and always staying focused on the road, we can all help prevent crashes and make our roads safer,” said Safe Communities Carroll County Project Director Amy Campbell.
Safe Communities Carroll County has yard signs that say “Look Out for Motorcycles,” available for anyone interested in promoting motorcycle safety. Contact Natasha Yonley at the Carroll County General Health District at 330-627-4866 ext. 26, for a sign.
For more information on motorcycle safety, visit www.nhtsa.gov/ Safety/Motorcycles.
The Health Distrct is located at 301 Moody Ave., SW, Carrollton.