Compliant or Standard?


There will be a new look, new process and new options for motorists who renew an Ohio driver’s license beginning July 2.

The new Driver’s License and Identification card (DL-ID) will have a new look with greater security features and identity protection for customers, according to officials from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

Motorists will continue to visit their local deputy registrar to renew a driver’s license, but will not receive the license that day. They will receive the license in the mail about 10 days after they apply or renew a license at the deputy registrar. An Ohio Interim Identification form will be issued to customers for use while the new permanent DL-ID card is processed and mailed. The Interim Identification card will expire 45 days after the date it is issued. The new DL-ID will be valid for four years and require a new photograph with every renewal.

Customers have the choice of applying for a compliant card or a standard card, which is in response to new federal travel restrictions requiring secure identification that go into effect Oct. 1, 2020. After Oct. 1, 2020, the old standard license will not be accepted at airports, federal buildings or military bases



A compliant card meets national travel security requirements and can be used as identification to fly on commercial flights in the United States. It requires more proof of identification than the standard card. The federally compliant card will be required to fly commercially (used for airport screening or to board a commercial airline) or to access federal facilities or military bases.

A compliant card has a star in the upper right hand corner.


To obtain a compliant card, customers must provide documents to prove the following:

*full legal name

*date of birth

*social security number

*proof of Ohio residency

*proof of legal presence



(One of the following required)

*Certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate

*Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

*Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

*Unexpired Ohio Compliant driver’s license or identification card (issued on July 2, 2018, or after)

*Certificate of Naturalization

*Certificate of Citizenship.



*An official Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration, but not a metal card

*A form W-2 wage and tax statement, displaying full Social Security Number, from the current or last previous tax year

*An acceptable Social Security Administration 1099 form displaying full Social Security number

*A non-Social Security Administration 1099 form (DIV, G, INT, MISC or R) displaying full Social Security number



(Two of the following)

*Change of address card or document issued by the Ohio BMV

*Child support check stub from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services with the name and address of the applicant

*Checking, savings, or on-line bank account statement issued within the last sixty days

*Court order of probation, order of parole, or order of mandatory release

*Current and valid premises liability, life insurance, or automobile insurance policy or card.

*School records (satisfactory proof of identity, Ohio residency, and relationship of the parent or guardian to the child applicant is required)

*Installment loan contract from a bank or other financial institution

*Major credit card statement or major retail store credit card statement issued within the last 60 days

*Mortgage account or proof of home ownership

*Ohio certificate of title

*Ohio BMV Mail-In Registration Renewal Notice

*Paycheck stub issued within the last six months

*BMV mail-in registration renewal notice

*Paycheck stub issued within the last six months

*Professional license issued by an Ohio governmental agency.

*Property tax bill or receipt

*Ohio resident hunting or fishing license, current or previous year

*Ohio sales tax or business license

*Selective service registration acknowledgment card

*Social security administration document

*Utility bill (from an electric, telephone, water, sewer, cable, satellite, heating oil, or propane provider) issued within the last sixty days

*Valid Ohio concealed weapons permit

*Public assistance check stub or food stamp card issued by a governmental agency

*United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) letter

*Standard Ohio temporary instruction (learner’s) permit, driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, motorcycle operator’s license, or identification card that is current or has been expired for less than six months

*A dependent child may have an address confirmed by a parent or legal guardian, who has proof for the same address (see BMV website for further details)

*Nursing home patients can use a formal statement of residency issued by a nursing home official

*Any other genuine and reliable document approved by the registrar of motor vehicles.



A standard card does not meet national travel security requirements. A standard card will need to be used in conjunction with a passport or other acceptable documents approved by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in order to fly commercially or to access a federal building or military base.

The standard card does not require additional identity documents unless the DL-ID is being issued for the first time.

The BMV website states there is no additional cost for the compliant license. It will cost the same as the current driver license and identification card.

For additional information, visit the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles website at www.bmv,gov.