The Free Press Standard is celebrating its 184th anniversary this week.
Sept. 8, 2015, marked the newspaper’s 184th “birthday” with the first publishing of Vol. 1 No. 1 of The Centreville Recorder being Sept. 8, 1831.
Actually, The FPS had its beginning more than a year (1833) before Carroll County was formed.
After the formation of Carroll County by the Ohio Legislature in the winter of 1832-1833, the name of the paper was changed to the Carrollton Gazette.
Through the years there was a succession of publishers, mergers and name changes until the late Harry R. and Paul H. Kemerer bought the Carroll Free Press in 1906 and the newspaper’s name became The Free Press Standard.
The FPS was printed in the basement of the Carroll County courthouse until 1918 when the plant was moved to 101-107 W. Main St., It later relocated in 1965 to a new modern printing plant on Canton Rd. where it remained until The FPS purchased the former Carroll County Journal in 1971, ending 100 years of publication by the later newspaper.
Other publishers of The FPS included the late Helen McLandsborough and the late Jane and Glenn Brenneman, who together owned the newspaper from 1933 until Mrs. Brenneman sold the Carrollton Standard Printing Company, which included The Free Press Standard, to Maynard A. Buck of Cadiz in October 1975.
Buck separated the two companies into Carrollton Graphics and The Free Press Standard and moved the Free Press to its current location at 43 E. Main St.,
Buck remained the publisher until January of 2015 when The FPS was purchased by David Schloss.
Known as Carroll County’s oldest and largest newspaper, The FPS has kept pace with the changing of time over the years, both in technology and journalistic excellence, having won numerous awards in the Hooper Newspaper show held in conjunction with the annual Ohio Newspaper Association’s winter convention in Columbus.
The Free Press was one of the first weekly newspapers in Ohio to begin using computers in its operation and has continued to be on top of technology changes in the industry.
In 2014, The FPS unveiled a new “e-Edition,” designed to be viewable on Internet personal computers, mobile and tablet devices where readers can “pull up” the entire physical newspaper, including headlines, articles, photos and advertising exactly as they appear in print.
In addition to weekly publications of the latest up-to-date news and advertising, The FPS continues to publish special periodical tabloid (tab) inserts and various special sections. The paper continues to be published weekly The current staff includes David Schloss, publisher; Carol McIntire, editor; Connie Trushel, advertising manager; Donald Rutledge, asssociate editor; Jordan Miller, sports reporter; Leigh Ann Rutledge, accent editor; Carol Coffy, sales representative; Janet Grimes, office manager, and Doji Grimes, circulation manager.