60 YEARS AGO
From 1957 FPS Files
Dr. F. S. Mitchell was elected president of the Ohio State Alumni of Carroll and Harrison counties.
Member of Carrollton High School’s 1957-58 varsity basketball team, coached by John Beck and assisted by Jim Waller, were Dick Manfull, Dean Gamble, Dick Truman, Dale Gallaher, Dale Howell, Roger Boucher, Bill Anderson, Jim Dye, Glenn Lane, Jim Maple, John Pothorski and Harold Ray.
A flip of the coin made Geraldine Stewart a member of the Loudon Local Board of Education. She and Kenneth Jones both polled 76 votes in the November 1957 election.
Members of the Carrollton High School’s reserve basketball team for the 1957-58 season were Larry Warner, Brian Fithen, Sonny Tanner, Jon Marshall, Larry Breckenridge, Larry Boggess, Don Duvall, Jan Kennedy, Jerry Walters, Richard Hutson, Harold Laizure, Homer Barnett, Keith Ray and Ronnie Huff. The team was also coached by John Beck and Jim Waller.
50 YEARS AGO
From 1967 FPS Files
James D. Cramblett of New Harrisburg was elected president of the Carroll County Agricultural Society (Fair Board).
Two Rotary Club exchange students from Argentina, both cousins, were treated to a turkey dinner “with all the trimmings” at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Coe Smith of Courtview Ave., Carrollton. The exchange students were Arturo Andrujovich and his cousin, Hugo Kruselniski.
Leading the cheers at Malvern High School’s basketball games were Diane Williams, Marchand Reed and Kandi Stagerwald, reserve cheerleaders; Karen Tucci, Barbara Robbins, Brenda Sarbach, Kathy Eakin and Karen Gamber, varsity cheerleaders.
Carrollton High School’s 1967-68 wrestling squad had seven returning lettermen. They included Dick White, Todd Brace, Jim Barcus, John Kempthorne, Randy Hull, Lee Newbold and Scott Reed.
40 YEARS AGO
From 1977 FPS Files
The newly-constructed NAPA (National Automotive Parts Association) distribution center on Mace Rd. in Carrollton opened and began operations Dec. 1.
Elizabeth Baillie was elected president of the Carroll County Agricultural Society (Fair board).
For the third consecutive year, the Carrollton High School Carhisean won an award in the Northern Ohio Scholastic Press Association’s high school yearbook evaluation. A photo of Pam Long, editor; Mrs. Dianne Buck, advisor, and Jean Thompson, business manager, was published on the front page of the Dec. 1, 1977 issue of The FPS.
Senior members of Carrollton High School’s 1977 football team honored at the team’s banquet were Brad Henry, Kevin Williamson, Fred Haus, Joe Shipbaugh, Dave Lucas, Ed Hawk, Paul Anderson and Mark McConnaughy.
30 YEARS AGO
From 1987 FPS Files
Mrs. Sandra F. Mills was promoted to vice president of the Carrollton office of The Citizens Banking Company.
The Minerva Kiwanis Club held an unveiling and dedication ceremony for the water fountain, located on Line St. behind Walker’s Restaurant. The fountain was dedicated in memory of Fred L. Richardson and Donald E. Walker, Kiwanis members who recently passed away.
Kenne Hartong was elected president of the Carroll County Agricultural Society.
The Conotton Valley boys basketball team opened the season in top form defeating the Jewett Scio Vikings 67-54.
20 YEARS AGO
From 1997 FPS Files
Carrollton Schools Supt. Lawrence F. Pontuti, who retired Jan. 1, 1998, was honored at a dinner held at the Atwood Resort and Conference Center where over 200 gathered to honor him for his years of dedicated service to the children of the Carrollton Exempted Village School District and the community.
Riann Maurer and Tyson Schrickel were named Students of the Month for November at Carrollton High School where both were seniors.
Dennis R. Ray, a 1974 graduate of Carrollton High School, was named one of 317 teachers nationwide to receive National Board Certification. Ray was a mathematics teacher at Chillicothe High School.
Returning letter winners to the Carrollton Lady Warriors cage program for the 1997-98 season were Katie Hamilton, Dawn Cogan, Jaimi Wilson, Beth McAbier and Josette Keane.
10 YEARS AGO
From 2007 FPS Files
A plan to consolidate Harlem Springs and Augusta schools for the 2008-09 school year was presented to the Carrollton Board of Education by Carrollton Schools Supt. Kevin Spears.
Terry Sanders was sworn in as chief of the Sherrodsville Community Fire and Rescue.
Rhonda Cogan, office manager for Fusion Ceramics, Inc., was named 2007 Business Woman of the Year.
Kimberly Olivito and Javan Shields were named Students of the Month for November at Carrollton High School where both were seniors.