60 YEARS AGO
(From 1956 FPS Files)
The Ohio Power Co. announced the purchase of property on the corner of W. Main St. and High streets in Carrollton where they planned to construct a new combination office-service building on the former residence property owned by Gerald B. and Mary M. Allmon.
Frank W. Denny, a well known local self-employed meat cutter, died at the age of 72 after suffering a heart attack at his residence.
Mrs. Hazel Irish and Mrs. Edna Zufall of Alliance announced the opening of their nursing home in the Burrier farm home in East Carrollton.
Nancy Jo Kean, a junior at Carrollton School, was the local delegate to the 1956 Buckeye Girls State to be held at Capital University in Columbus.
50 YEARS AGO
(From 1966 FPS Files)
A Carroll County Airport Authority was created by the county commissioners and a five-member board was named as the trustees. They included Glenn L. Brenneman, Richard L. Hornberger, William LoPresti, Glenn C. Reed and Atty. Paul E. Benson.
An entry by Mrs. Hugh K. Sweeney won best of show and sweepstakes awards in the Carrollton Garden Club’s 11th annul flower show.
Fire of undetermined origin destroyed the Allen Box Co. in Bergholz.
Dr. Richard W. Boggs announced the opening of his chiropractic office in the Snively Dental building at 615 N. Market St. in Minerva.
Earl L. Riegle Jr., five-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl L. Riegel of East Carrollton, as pictured holding a string of bluegills he caught while fishing at a private lake near Harlem Springs.
40 YEARS AGO
(From 1976 FPS Files)
An infant sized vault to be used as a time capsule in observance of the nation’s Bicentennial was donated to the Carrollton Area Bicentennial Commission by Sweeney Funeral Home. The vault was to be buried during a ceremony Aug. 25 at Westview Cemetery and opened in 100 years or 2076.
Carroll County 4-H club members selected to attend the 59th annual Ohio 4-H Club Congress at Ohio State University included Forest Thomas, Kathy Daniel, Ed Jones, Amy Rutledge, Donna Krantz and Patty Toot.
Watheys Station was moved from its original location on Co. Rd. 14 in Augusta Twp. to a site constructed at the Algonquin Mill complex in Petersburg.
Rick Locke, a senior, and Russ Leatherberry, a junior, were members of Malone College’s record-breaking baseball team during the 1976 spring season.
30 YEARS AGO
(From 1986 FPS Files)
Fred Wilson of Malvern was re-elected chairman of the Carroll County Republican Central and Executive Committee while Fred H. Barnett Sr. of Mechanicstown, who headed the Democrat party in 1946, was elected chairman of the Carroll County Democrat Central and Executive Committee.
New speed limits were set in Sherrodsville.
Seven Carroll County 4-H club members were representing the county at the 68th annual Ohio 4-H Congress held at The Ohio State University. They included Tim Vandeborne, Tonya Kmatz, Tara Haun, Sharon Walters, Jeff Campbell, Penny Woods and Shayne harsh.
Dwight Gotschall, owner and operator of the Gotschall-Hutchison Funeral Home in Minerva, died at the age of 60.
20 YEARS AGO
(From 1996 FPS Files)
The purchase of the former Society Bank (First National Bank) for $75,000 in downtown Carrollton by the Carroll County Board of Commissioners was completed.
Quick action by eight-year-old Alex Bates was credited with the saving of the home of Glenn and Pam Gallaher on 5th St. when he heard the fire alarm go off and alerted his grandfather, Dave Walter.
Sarah Ramsey and Clint Barker were delegates from Edison High School to the 1996 American Legion’s Buckeye Girls and Boys State. Carrollton High School’s delegates were Doug Patterson, Levi Papai and Matt Starkey.
Mrs. Connie Hubbard, a former science teacher at Minerva High School, was honored as Alumni of the Year dinner at Malone College in Canton.
10 YEARS AGO
(From 2006 FPS Files)
Forty applications were received by Carrollton village council for the vacant village administrator’s position.
A dedication was held marking the completion of the Reed St. bridge in Malvern.
Ruby Gilliam of Minerva and David Jones of Dellroy were re-elected to lead their respective political parties, the Carroll County Democrat and Carroll County Republican Central and Executive Committees.
Dr. Erick Chamblee joined the Berg and Birong Dental practice in Carrollton.