60 YEARS AGO
From 1958 FPS Files
Five of the oldest and three of the youngest players who attended the second annual Old Timers baseball reunion in Carrollton were pictured on the front page of the Aug. 7, 1958 issue of The FPS. The five oldest members included Ed Onslow of Scio, W. B. “Kilt” Abrahims of Carrollton, Taylor Lange of Salineville, Ed S. Ferrall of Canton and Clifford Minor Sr. of Sherrodsville. The three youngest players were Ralph Allison of Mechanicstown, Judd L. Hall and Jim Walton, both of Carrollton.
Gail Wilson, a junior at Carrollton High School, was one of the 300-piece All-Ohio Boy’s Band, which performed during the eight days of the 1958 Ohio State Fair.
Rev. John G. Sutz, former pastor of Trinity Evangelical and Reformed Church in Carrollton, died at the age of 73.
Charles M. Brogan Jr. and his son, Charles M. Brogan III, of Rt. 1, East Rochester, purchased the John Deere Sales and Service at 540 N. High St. in Carrollton, from G. D. Tomlinson of Carrollton.
50 YEARS AGO
From 1968 FPS Files
Glenn Reed, manager of Al’s Discount Shopping Center of Carrollton announced an extensive expansion and remodeling program to get underway at the store on Canton Rd.
Carroll County youth taking part in the All-Ohio Boys Band and Youth choir at the 1968 Ohio State Fair included Janet and Marilou Kail of Carrollton, John Beamer and Harold Thorley of Sherrodsville and Tim Green and Don Schreffler of Waynesburg, all members of the Youth Choir; Jack Watson of Scio, Randy S. Pakach of Jewett and George (Skip) Smith or Amsterdam, all band members.
Amsterdam’s young Tom Tulodzieski pitched a no-hitter as he led the Class H team, sponsored by the Amsterdam Junior Women’s Club to a 9-0 shutout over Guido’s of Ravenna in the Ohio Hot Stove League baseball tournament, advancing the Amsterdam team into the state semi-finals.
The 104-piece Carrollton High School Warrior Marching band marched in Canton’s 1968 Hall of fame parade.
40 YEARS AGO
From 1978 FPS Files
Mrs. Roger (Millie) Reibolt was appointed Leesvillle’s new clerk-treasurer, succeeding Mrs. James (Penny) Marshall.
Amy Rutledge and Audrey Whipkey were attending the 4-H state conservation camp at Camp Ohio in Utica.
Captains of Carrollton High School’s cross country team, coached by Craig Winters and Dan Wells, included Jim Jarosz, Greg Roof, Frank Jarosz and Tim Eick.
The 400-acre dairy and corn production farm operated by Ballard and Sharon Jenkins on SR 9, north of Carrollton, was featured in the Aug. 10, 1978 issue of The FPS.
30 YEARS AGO
From 1988 FPS Files
Michael R. Maiorca was named acting Carrollton High School principal and Mrs. Kathryn (Kitty) Lowdermilk was appointed cafeteria supervisor.
Mark Portofe of the Dellroy area was playing the role of Michael, a converted Christian Deleware Indian, in the summer’s production of “Trumpet in the Land” at the Schoenbrunn Amphitheater in New Philadelphia.
Christopher Snyder, a Carrollton High School freshman, was one of 220 students selected to attend the fourth Joseph Baldwin Academy for Eminent Young Scholars at Northeast Missouri State University in Kirksville, MO.
Four runs in the fourth inning of an unyielding defense gave Stegal’s team from the Minerva Slo-Pitch League the 8-7 advantage over Short Stop to claim the State Title in NSA class “D” softball action.
20 YEARS AGO
From 1998 FPS Files
For the third consecutive time, a proposed $12,230,000 bond issue for permanent improvements within the Carrollton Exempted Village School District was soundly defeated by an unofficial vote of 890 for and 2,193 against.
William “ Bill” Abrahims was sworn in as Carrollton’s mayor, replacing Rodger Barto, who resigned.
Don Parker, co-owner of D&D TV with Dan Ries, retired and his son, Tom Parker, assumed his role as co-owner.
The Jewett-Scio G League Pining Fork Ruritan baseball team claimed the state championship title in a 7-6 contest with the North Akron Dodgers.
10 YEARS AGO
From 2008 FPS Files
Don and Elizabeth Sweeney announced the closing of Carrollton’s oldest retail business, Sweeney & Son Furniture store at 95 N. Lisbon St.
Gayle Stewart and Charles Miller served as grand marshal for Kilgore’s annual homecoming parade.
Extensive renovations were underway at Minerva High School in preparation for the opening of the 1998-99 school year.
Bill and Sandy Erwin, who opened Erwin Septic Service in May, were the subject of a feature story in the Aug. 7 issue of The FPS.