Woodburner pipe blamed for starting Fox Twp. fire

0
294

The cause of a fire that caused extensive damage to a Fox Twp. home Nov. 24 has been determined.

Fox Twp. Fire Chief Fred Barnett said the state fire marshal investigated the fire, which started in the kitchen area of a home at 9021 Avon Rd., Salineville. Tiffany DiMario, who lives in the residence, was not home when the fire started.

It was determined the pipe from an inside woodburner to the outside through a cement block wall became so hot it set the outside wall of the home on fire.

Firefighters from Highland Twp., Carrollton Village, Carroll County and Salineville fire departments also responded.

When firefighters arrived, they found a fire coming through the roof of the 30-by-70-foot split level home. The fire quickly spread from the kitchen area into the ceiling and attic area in the middle of the home. Fox Twp. firefighters set up a pond which was filled using a shuttle service of tankers from responding departments.

“We had to cut a hole in the roof in the center of the home to alleviate the pressure and put the fire out,” said Barnett.

He noted the family arrived home in time to remove a garden tractor, motorcycle and other items from the garage. Barnett said the garage was not damaged by the fire, but most of the home sustained water damage.

The home was covered by insurance.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the family. DiMario has two sons, ages seven and 11 years old. The family’s four dogs all survived.